The project challenge was to design a module to provide a strong and effective workflow both for internal and customer support departments. This is essentially a fully featured Ticket Management system that helps its users keep track of, attend to, and reassign the tickets to appropriate departments or organizations.
The project was split into two parts, Service Desk Server and Service Desk Mobile.
Service Desk Server
Following a thorough research, we decided to use an open source support ticket system OsTicket. However, the software needed to be modified and enhanced in accordance with our needs. In view of this, our team:
- Implemented support for multi-tenancy inside a single application instance;
- Integrated the Service Desk software with the client’s portal;
- Created two user panels: one for administrators and one for the staff;
- Extended such features as Time Calculation, Knowledge Base, Time Sheets, Calendar, and Resource utilization.
PHP, Apache, MySQL
Service Desk Mobile
Following the project goals, we created from scratch and implemented the Service Desk Mobile Applications for Android and iOS platforms for providing the following services:
- Login to service desk on mobile devices, such as smartphone and tablet;
- Set up notifications for tracking changes in tickets, customer replies and new task creation;
- Close (complete) a ticket;
- Reassign a ticket;
- Reply to customer;
- Manage end users and organizations;
- Browse Billable Time and Cast statistics.
Android, iOS, RESTful Web Service
In the end, the project resulted in an exceedingly agile and functional platform able to simplify the workflow both for our client and its customers.
The Admin panel allows the administrators to configure preferences for the following components: Tickets, Mail, Access, Alerts and Notices, Help Topics, Ticket Filters, SLA Plans and Forms. The administrators are given the option to assign and reassign tickets as well as generate reports. Here, they determine how the system should function.
The Staff Panel allows agents to manage assigned tickets, search or filter tickets according to ticket’s number (Simple Ticket Search) or key words (Advanced Ticket Search), use Stopwatch function, edit organizations, create new users, manage knowledge base items and generate reports.
Furthermore, the Mobile Application allows the staff to see their customers’ location on interactive map and capture and attach photo to internal notes.